In order to support development ofConfucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinesecultural transmission in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese languageteachers and talented students of Chinese language, Confucius Institute Headquarters(Hanban) (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius InstituteScholarships” program for providing sponsorship to students, scholars andChinese language teachers of other countries for pursuing a study in relevantuniversities in China (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
I. Category & Eligibility
The Confucius Institute ScholarshipCategories are:
Scholarship for Master’s Degree in TeachingChinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students
Scholarship for one-Academic-Year Study +MTCSOL Students
Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree inTeaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL) Students
Scholarship for One-Academic-Year StudyStudents
Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students
Application is open to applicant who owns anon-Chinese citizenship, aged between 16 and 35, in good health condition,(Applicant is currently working in a Chinese language teaching position shallnot exceed the age limit of 45. Undergraduate student shall not exceed the agelimit of 20).
1. Scholarship for Master’s Degree inTeaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
This category provides a sponsorship for 2academic years. Applicant should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, aminimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 5), and a minimum score of 50 in HSKKTest (Intermediate Level). Applicant who is able to provide the employmentagreement or certification upon finishing the study from designated workinginstitutions is preferred.
2. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study+ MTCSOL Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 3academic years. Applicant should provide the employment agreement from adesignated Confucius Institute or a prospective working institution. Applicantshould hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum score of 180 inHSK Test (Level 3), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Beginner Level).
3. Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree inTeaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL) Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 4academic years. Applicant should hold a
4. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year StudyStudents
This category provides a sponsorship for 11months. Application is open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students,overseas Chinese language teachers, Chinese language major students andexcellent performers in HSK test. International students who are now studyingin China are not eligible for the scholarship. Applicant should have a minimumscore of 180 in HSK Test (Level 3), and 60 in HSKK test (Beginner Level).Alternatively, applicant should hold a minimum score of 180 in BCT (A) , and aminimum score of 180 BCT (Speaking).
5. Scholarship for One-Semester StudyStudents
This category provides a sponsorship for 5months. Applicant should have no prior experience of studying in China, buthave a minimum score of 120 in HSK Test (Level 2), and a minimum score of 40 inHSKK (Beginner Level). Alternatively, applicant should have a minimum score of100 in BCT (A), and a minimum score of 120 in BCT (Speaking).
6. Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for4-week study which is mainly focusing on Chinese language. Application ismainly open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, excellent performersin HSK test, and outstanding club members of Confucius Institute Magazine.Applicant should submit a HSK or BCT score report, and have no prior experienceof studying in China.
“Chinese Bridge” (Chinese ProficiencyCompetition for Foreign College Students) Winners who have been awarded the2016 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” can apply for admissionaccording to the scholarship specified in the certificate.
II. Scholarship Coverage, Criteria and Academic Assessment
The Confucius Institute Scholarshipprovides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance andcomprehensive medical insurance expenses.
Tuition fee is under the overall planningand utilization of host institutions to provide teaching, management, Chineselanguage proficiency tests （HSK/HSKK）, and cultural andsocial activities for scholarship holders.
Accommodation fee is under the overallplanning and utilization of host institutions which should provide scholarship holderswith free dormitory rooms （usually double rooms）. Forthose who live off campus with the permission of host institutions are entitledto accommodation allowance from host institutions on by month or by quarter.The allowance criteria are RMB700 per person on monthly basis.
Living allowance is granted by the hostinstitutions on monthly basis. The allowance criteria per person are:
BTCSOL, One-Academic-Year Study,One-Semester Study: RMB2,500 per month
MTCSOL: RMB3,000 per month
Enrollment status is based on semesters ofhost institutions. Students who are enrolled before the 15th （or onthe 15th） of the admission month, are entitled to the full allowanceof that month. Students, who are enrolled after the 15th of that month, areonly entitled to half of the allowance.
The living allowance for the month ofgraduation will be granted half a month later upon confirming the graduationstatus by host institutions.
During the study, for any students who isabsent from China of personal reasons for more than 15 days （excludinglegal holidays）, the allowance will be suspended duringabsence. Allowance will be terminated in case of schooling suspension ordropping out for personal reasons.
Comprehensive medical insurance ispurchased by the host institutions in accordance to relevant regulations oninternational students stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. Theinsurance fee per person is RMB800 per year.
The degree scholarship program applicants （Category1, 2, 3） are subject to annual academic performance review. Onlythose who achieve outstanding records in academic and Chinese languageproficiency are entitled to a full scholarship for the following year; thosewho achieve average academic records are entitled to partial scholarships; theothers will not be entitled to scholarship any longer. Partial scholarshipsconsist of tuition fee, accommodation fee and comprehensive medical insurance.The One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study programmers is required toattend Chinese language proficiency test before graduation. Test fee isreimbursed by host institutions.
III. Admission Procedure
Scholarship recruitment is open all yearround on a trial basis. For applicants, recommending institutions and hostinstitutions, please find admission procedures and scholarship recruitmentresults on the Confucius Institute Scholarships website （http://cis.chinese.cn）.
1. For application, please log on to theConfucius Institute Scholarships website （http://cis.chinese.cn） toregister, complete the Confucius Institute Scholarships Application Formonline, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
2. Entrusted by Hanban, ConfuciusInstitutes （independent Confucius Classrooms） indifferent countries, overseas Chinese language testing centers, educational andcultural sections of Chinese embassy and consulate, and host institutions inChina are working as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review, host institutions connection, and collecting andhanding over applicants’ documents to host institutions.
3. Once application materials are verifiedby the Division of Scholarships of Hanban as valid, host institutions will thenreview the eligibility of applicants and submit the admission list to Hanban.
4. Hanban will conduct an overallassessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitives election. Normally, the admission results will be announced within 45 workingdays after the application materials are confirmed as valid.
5. After confirming with the successfulapplicants, host institutions are required to post “Letter of Admission”, “VisaApplication Form for Foreigners to Study in China （JW202Form）, copy of the scholarship certificate and other relevantdocuments to the recommending institutions within 15 working days.
1. Incomplete or unqualified applicationswill not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified fromapplication in case of fraudulent application materials or application materialsare completed and submitted by someone else.
3. Scholarship winners who cannot registerwith the host institutions on time should inform the host institution about thereasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those whodo not register as requested without reason, the scholarship .
4. Scholarship will be canceled for thosewho , d rop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
V. Contact Information
Division of Scholarships,Confucius Institute Headquarters （Hanban）
Address: 129, DeshengmenwaiStreet, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100088
Fax: +86-10-58595727 E-mail: email@example.com